Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Don't knock it

"That ... can't be right..."

I was watching the student cashier count out a pile of coins from the till for my change. The thing was, I'd given him $2 and my drink was $1.90. It might be first thing on a Thursday morning, but even I could work out that I shouldn't be receiving a fistful of silver coins back.

The cashier paused and looked at the till screen. It read:

Purchase: $1.90
Change: $0.85

"No ..." he agreed and then shrugged. "Just ... you know ... go with it." He passed me over the coins with a sunny smile.

"Um. Okay. Thanks." I took the coins and the drink and wandered off.

Probably a sociology student.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, I love this sort of anecdote!
    Here's my coffee anecdote (true story).

    For most of my life, I have not been a coffee drinker but I discovered coffee 6 months ago and it's done wonders for my productivity. So these days I find myself extolling its virtues to people I meet.

    I was in the campus bookstore when I bumped into this girl I knew slightly (I had no romantic interest in her whatsoever).

    Me: Hi!
    Girl: Hi, how's it going?
    ... lots of small talk...
    Me: You look tired.
    Girl: Yeah, I've been staying up all night.
    Me: Hey, do you drink coffee?
    Girl: (glances furtively, trying to think of an excuse) I have to go to class soon.

    I'm like:
    1) Did I inadvertently ask her out?
    2) And, did she just reject me?

    I hate being rejected by people I didn't ask out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That story totally beats mine! Awesome (and unfortunate) :D

    ReplyDelete